When it comes to technology, the holiday season is possibly the best time of the year! It’s a wonderful time to share with family, but it’s also a great time to show gratitude towards a business partner or co-worker with a tech-related gift—and upgrade your own business technology as well. From virtual reality and artificial intelligence to the Internet of Things (IoT) and managed IT services, here we present a 2017 holiday-tech buying guide—for your personal and professional lives.
- VR Headsets. Do you know what’s even more entertaining than playing Call of Duty on a gaming system? Playing it in 3D! These virtual reality gaming headsets allow you to take the plunge—literally—into an immersive world of virtual reality. They range in price from $30 to $300 and up. Check out Oculus Rift, Google Daydream, and Samsung Gear for VR headset ideas.
- PlayStation 4. A great place to use that virtual reality headset, this sleek console has 500 gig of memory and is a very powerful gaming system. Plus, users will be able to play the newest games coming out in 2018, such as The Last of Us: Part II (whose first version was rated one of the greatest games of all time in 2013) and Far Cry 5.
- Samsung Galaxy Gear. This smartwatch pairs with Samsung smartphones and can be used to make and receive hands-free phone calls, get email and text notifications, pay at credit card terminals, run apps, and use GPS. Any busy businessperson will appreciate how much the device can help them get organized while enjoying its futuristic feel.
- Nest Learning Thermostat. The Internet of Things (IoT) is about computers and electronics connected together by a network, able to exchange information instantly and make home and business living smarter, faster, and more secure.
One of the first smart home devices was the Nest Learning Thermostat. These futuristic thermostats run on Wi-Fi (enabling you to change the home’s temperature from your phone) and are self-learning, so they start to understand how to heat or cool your home or business based on your initial inputs. Once Nest learns your personal schedule, it can optimize energy efficiency in power-saving mode when it realizes you’re not around. These $230 thermostats are a beautiful wall piece as well.
- Other Smart Home Technology. Gadget lovers love connecting their gadgets with their everyday lives! There are home monitoring/security systems (more on those below), smart outlets, smart light bulbs, and home arrival sensors among this growing sector of “smart home” devices from Samsung, Google, and others.
- Home Security Camera. A great way to keep tabs on your home or office, there are many different great security cameras that are weatherproof, tamper-resistant, indoor/outdoor, and can send alerts to your phone if they see something or detect unwanted movement. Having them indoors also signals to your workers that you care enough about them to keep a virtual eye out for their safety. There are dozens of different manufacturers and some great ones like Nest Security Cameras that store up to 30 days of high-def footage in the cloud, making it easy to go back to video.
- Computing network security. Corporate data breaches are catastrophic for the victims whose sensitive data is stolen and as we learned from the Equifax matter earlier this year (which exposed over 140 million people to hackers), sometimes these occur when the IT department is asleep at the monitoring center. Now is the perfect time to assess your businesses cyber security readiness! Plus, with the growing use of mobile devices for work (and IoT), businesses’ cybersecurity is at increasing risk.
Internet Technology Management Services from IND Corp.
Want the ultimate in network security for your NJ company? Give the gift of technology that will better protect your computing network and your corporate data with IND Corporation’s cyber security and managed IT services.
Our flat-rate, fixed-cost TotalCare packages provide NJ businesses with 24/7 network monitoring and maintenance, remote help desk and on-site technical support, and much more. TotalCare is the gift that keeps on giving for our clients throughout New Jersey, who rely on IND Corp. to manage and support their entire computing infrastructure or supplement what their existing IT department is doing. Contact us at 973-947-8045 to discuss your managed IT services needs.
Need more holiday tech gift ideas? Want to know what’s new on the market? Check out these links to tech gifts and gadgets: