It’s been well documented in the news that the latest ransomware, dubbed WannaCry, has effected a lot of businesses and people over the last few days. WannaCry is just the latest in a long line of ransomware attacks that we’ve been talking about (and keeping people safe from).
The good news is that you can protect yourself – and even recover your files if they get infected! Here’s how.
- First, apply all Microsoft updates to your Windows computers. This latest malware propagates through a security hole in Windows, but if your computer is patched, then you can’t automatically get it.
- However, just because your computer is up-do-date doesn’t mean you can’t get the WannaCry malware. You can still get this malware – and all kinds of other malware – by clicking on a link or by opening an attachment in a malicious email.
- Make sure your anti-virus and anti-malware software is up to date, and always running on your computers – both Mac and PC’s alike. Yes, Mac’s are vulnerable to malware also (just not this specific “WannaCry” strain of malware.) Good anti-virus/anti-malware software will protect your computers.
- In case you or your employees do get infected with malware, make sure your backup systems can restore your data (and make sure you know how long it will take to restore your files and get back to work.)
- Train your employees on cyber threats of all kinds – from ranswomware to phishing attacks. Ongoing training programs will greatly reduce the likelihood that you will get infected.
Still concerned or need help?
Our TotalCare managed service programs protect businesses throughout New Jersey and New York! Contact us today to learn how we can protect your business – and your profits!