Though still a young technology, computer tablets have become one of the most popular items in the tech world since the introduction of the iPad. As the industry has grown, so have the alternatives, with tablets being offered by Microsoft, Android and Motorola. However, popularity doesn’t always equal practicality. The iPad may one day be seen as an antiquated technology, much in the same way we currently see the Atari 2600. When making the decision to buy a tablet, make sure to first consider the pros and cons.
- Tablets can go anywhere. The ability to access important documents at any location is valuable. As businesses begin to utilize cloud computing more often, it becomes even more important to increase personal accessibility.
- Tablets are very useful. The potential for productive work uses will only increase as developers release more business-related apps. As time goes on, tablets will likely become more practical in a business setting.
- Tablets are a symbol of professionalism. Having a tablet computer in a meeting with a customer or partner instead of a legal pad will let them know that you mean business. In turn, this could increase their confidence in your ability to perform.
- Tablets are a luxury. Whether you own a laptop or a desktop, a tablet isn’t something you absolutely need. Business might advance to a market that requires the use of tablets, but as of now there is generally a less complicated substitute for any function a tablet can complete.
- Tablets can be very distracting. Because tablets are crossover devices between business and consumer, they have the opportunity to become overpriced toys. Presently, there are far more leisure-related apps than there are work-related apps.
- Tablets are still a young technology and are therefore expensive. If you aren’t yet confident a tablet is right for you, given their price, wait a few months to watch how the industry grows. Eventually, cheaper alternatives will be introduced as more well-known hardware, like the iPad, drop in price.
Computer tablets are often very useful tools, though at the same time they can operate as nothing more than very expensive toys. Depending on your needs, a tablet could be the perfect fit, but make sure to weigh the pros and cons before making a final decision. If you are interested in reading further, please read over this article.